Silver Spring, MD

Is it safe to take over-the-counter senna laxative every day to relieve constipation?

Dr. Robert Cloud
Colon and Rectal Surgery 42 years experience
Constipation: Constipation becomes more of an issue as we grow older. If a high fiber diet, plenty of water and avoidance of too much dairy( they harder the stool) doesnt keep tou regular, then it's much better to take a daily laxative than to strain or not go for days. More importantly, if you haven't had a recent colonoscopies exam, you should have one to make sure nothing else is going on.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Sheila Liewald
undefined 15 years experience
Laxatives can become addicting and your bowels may eventually depend on them. You really want to get the root of why you aren't able to go.
Feb 18, 2014