What causes a recurring swollen eye in an infant. no redness or discharge. swelling usually goes down the same day and has happened 3 times in 4 weeks?

Dr. Robert Patterson
Infants swollen Eye: Depending on the age of the infant...This can be worrisome( for newborns until perhaps 6 months) due to the types of infections, etc. A good discussion that should help you with this can be found at- http://tinyurl.Com/798odtx usually this is an easy thing to remedy...But get it checked out by either your local primary care doc (fp or pediatrician) or a local eye doc.
Dr. Robert Patterson
Dr. Robert Patterson commented
anything is possible, but I doubt the shots had anything to do with it..though idirectly I guess they could. If you are in an area where there is a pediatric opthamologist..that is where I would go at this point. If not then I would have your doc look to see if there is "pus" coming out of the tear duct. I would culture it checking for what type of bacteria. me know if further ???'s
Apr 8, 2012
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-healy
May be the tear duct: You do not mention what part of the eye. If it is close to the tear duct, sometimes in newborns and slightly older infants, a tear duct occlusion may cause local swelling to the area.

Last updated May 22, 2018