Hanford, CA

As of a few months ago, every time it get a cut or scratch, my scars turn very dark brown. my scars used to be normal. what could be the cause?

Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care 36 years experience
Natural Process: As injured skin heals, the body creates inflammation to do so which means fresh blood goes to the area and with it, many kinds of healing factors and cells. One type is called melanocytes which carry our skin pigment melanin. A healing occurs, these cells get deposited in the area and give it the brownish coloration you see. Over time, there will be some fading as the injury matures.

Last updated Jan 19, 2014