Is autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease testing available ?

Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Specializes in Nephrology and Dialysis
Yes: You have to get a renal ultrasound. It is an imaging test that determines the size and number of cysts ona kidney. Based upon the number of cysts on each kidney and depending on your age, then it can be determined if you have adpkd.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. James Cain
Nephrology and Dialysis 37 years experience
Yes, but......: Testing for this disease is safe and simple but beware of what you ask for. Knowing that you have polycystic kidney disease will make it difficult or expensive to obtain life and health insurance. Best to get these issues under control first as early diagnosis (before renal insufficiency) offers no benefit. Knowing that you have the gene prior to having children is useful for family planning.