can you tell me if there is any ideas on what to do about the hyperpigmentation on my legs (darkened discoloration)?

Dr. Walter Futterweit
Endocrinology 64 years experience
Venous stasis?: If you have bad veins and maybe obese, it leaves discoloration.
Dr. Anne Eglash
A few causes: The treatment for the hyperpigmentation depends on the cause. If you have had injuries to your legs, the healed skin can sometimes become hyperpigmented. Keeping injured areas out of the sun and using sun screen can help. Another common cause is swelling in the legs. This can cause leakage of iron from your blood cells into the skin, causing brown discoloration. Treatment is to use support hose.
Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dermatology 29 years experience
add a topical lightener, chemical peels or consider lasers to lighten spots
Jul 27, 2014

Last updated Jan 16, 2016