A 48-year-old member asked:
Disclaimer

Could two people with sickle cell trait give their child sickle cell anemia?

1 doctor answer
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience in Pediatrics
Yes: Or one with trait and one with ss.
Answered on Jan 27, 2014

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. Robin Larabee
25 years experience in Pediatrics
Yes: In order to have sickle cell anemia, a child must have inherited 2 abnormal genes for hemoglobin (the part if the red blood cell that carries oxygen), ... Read More
2
2 thanks
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience in Pediatrics
Yes: Sickle cell anemia requires the gene from both parents to cause ss anemia. If only one parent gave the gene, the kid would be a trait carrier.
A 48-year-old member asked:
Dr. Scott Diede
28 years experience in Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
25% chance: If both parents have trait, then the child has a 25% chance of having sickle cell disease, a 50% chance of having trait, and a 25% chance of not inher ... Read More
1
1 comment
A 32-year-old member asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience in Pediatrics
Yes or Sickle cell: The sickle cell anemia is passed to a child from both parents who must have at least a single sickle gene to pass. Either parent must have trait or an ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month