can you tell me more about otitis media?

Dr. William Culviner
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 30 years experience
Middle ear infection: This is typically a bacterial infection of the middle ear, not the outer ear(canal) or inner ear. It usually is triggered by a viral upper respiratory infection or allergies. Treatment involves decongestants, mucus thinners (guaifenesin), sometimes nasal or oral steroids, and usually antibiotics.
Inflamation mid/ear: Otitis media is a broad term that includes various forms of inflamation of the middle ear. That space is like a cave in the skull, with the ear drum on one wall, a drain tube (eustacion tube) in the floor ; another wall composed by the skull ; the ear nerve. The walls make mucous which normally drains but can be trapped. Germs can feed on the trapped mucous ; cause infection.