Nigeria
A 55-year-old male asked about a 50-year-old female:

I always ve pain on the left back pain to the leg. very painful especially when i try to sleep on the side?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 53 years experience
Sciatica: Sounds like sciatica, an irritation or partial pressure on the sciatic nerve which goes from the spine down the back of the buttocks and down the leg. Sleeping on that side can increase the pressure and therefore the pain. Check with a neurologist about this and you may need physical therapy to help with this.
Dr. Justin Lo
Pain Management 22 years experience
Pinched nerve: I agree that it sounds like sciatica or a pinched nerve in the spine. But, there are other causes of back and leg pain that need to be considered. You need to see a physician that evaluates back pain. Either a pain specialist, physical medicine doctor, sports medicine physician or spine surgeon.

Last updated Jun 3, 2014