how can i help prevent the spread of the flu?

Dr. Julia Sundel
Flu shot, hand wash: You and your family should get the flu shot. Young children are at high risk for complications from the flu. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use a hand sanitizer. Avoid touching your nose, mouth and eyes. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Avoid close contact with sick people.
Dr. Scott Katz
Good Hygiene: The flu is a common and potentially serious infection. The most important control measure is the flu vaccine, which can be given to children 6 months of age and older. Common sense measures include hand washing or sanitizer, covering your cough/sneeze, not sharing drinks and avoiding ill people and crowded areas during the flu season.
Dr. Colton Bradshaw
Specializes in Pediatrics
Vaccinate the family: The single most successful (and cost effective means) to prevent the spread of flu is to vaccinate all eligible members of your family. Of special importance is the vaccination of the pregnant mother: infants below 6 months of age are not candidates for the flu vaccine; therefore, the only way to impart immunity to the newborn is through the vaccination of his mother before delivery.