U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

What to do if i wanted to breastfeed but it didn't work out i stopped and bottlefed what do i do now it hurts please help?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tanya Russo
Pediatrics 26 years experience
Engorgement: Abrupt discontinuation of breast feeding can result in engorgement, or congestion of the milk ducts with milk. Some techniques to reduce this pressure include hot showers, cold compresses, breast pumping and wearing a tight bra. NSAID medications such as Advil (ibuprofen) or Motrin will likely also be somewhat helpful. Infection can develop if engorgement is long standing, and a doctor visit may be needed.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 7, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.