please tell me, are large amounts of dental xrays safe?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Define Large: What may be large to you is tiny to someone else. Dental radiographs are of the diagnostic dosage, and are focused only towards your mouth (lead shield for the rest of your body). A full mouth series (18 films) every few years and bitewings every year will do you no harm. Although you may decline films, you then assume all risks and responsibility for undiagnosed disease and other problems.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Normally yes: If lead aprons are used over thyroid of neck and wrapped around you, and normally not more than possibly 21 films and a panoramic- then should be safe. Many dental offices also have to have a certification from their state that the machines are in proper working order.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Standard of care: Before any dental procedure, your dentist will take x-rays to evaluate your oral health. Dental x-rays are part of dental treatment because they can detect damage to teeth and gums and surrounding tissue. The digital x-rays are very safe and digital X-rays mean less exposure to radiation.