Washington, DC

my nails seem fragile have developed crosswise bands of red/white: http://tinypic.com/r/ogm98j/5. when i extend fingers the nails are white w/dark pink tips. what could explain this and is it normal?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 50 years experience
Nothing serious: Nails can be brittle if you are low on iron in your diet. So get your blood checked for anemia and if your hemoglobin is less than 12-13gms, blood iron stores should be checked and supplement provided by your doctor.
Dr. Warren Wolfe
Interesting.: Finger nails are sometimes the clue to several conditions ranging from vascular, fungal, neurological and poisoning to name a few. In this case i don't think you are being poisoned but a visit to a dermatologist is in order.