Malta

daughter 5, does not know her father and i are separated, she thinks her father works overseas, he visits her every 2mnths...how do i tell her & when?

Dr. Santiago Roldan
Dentistry 20 years experience
She will ask: Let her ask and then you tell her that your situation is different to others. She will understand.
Dr. Rixt Luikenaar
Now?: Kids are more resilient then you think and they appreciate the truth. I don't know why not telling her from the beginning but then I am not a psychiatrist, just a parent and doctor. As long as you tell her it is not because of her and keeping it a secret may make her feel that way later it would probably be okay to tell her daddy lives somewhere else and therefor can't see her more often.
Dr. Susana Sixto-rodriguez
Who's my dad: It is important that you sit with your daughter and explain to her who her father is and that he loves her very much. Especially if he visits her regularly. Ask him to try to write to her or call her more frequently to keep their relationship healthy. It is important to stress that her father and you not being together is not her fault and that you both love her very much. Kids can handle alot.