Houma, LA

I have a bad habit of accidently swallowing some of my mouthwash. i use listerene & a bleaching one. today i swallowed some of both. will i be ok?

Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Jerry Huanswered
Cosmetic Dentistry 23 years experience
Small amounts: Listerine and whitening products have anti-microbial properties to them, and although you shouldn't try to swallow or drink them, after you rinse, spit out (expectorate), and the little that goes down, is generally fine.
Dr. Mike Moore
Cosmetic Dentistry 43 years experience
Ethyl alcohol?: If you were ok before you swallowed the mouthwash, you will likely be ok afterward, although at your age i question whether that assumption is correct. Look, you don't need mouthwash for a clean healthy mouth, if you feel you need it, get the non-alcohol variety, and your "accidents" likely will be less frequent.

Last updated Apr 12, 2014