U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 41-year-old member asked:

Heart surgery as baby. stable at 18 years old. want to get pregnant?

2 doctor answers13 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Vogt Lowell
Specializes in Pediatric Cardiology
See a cardiologist: It will depend on what type of defect you had, what repair you underwent and what residual issues you were left with if any. Most repaired forms of congenital heart defects (defects of the heart you were born with) allow you to live a perfectly normal life which includes having babies, but you need to get checked.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management 29 years experience
I agree with Dr. Lowell. See a cardiologist and make sure that you are in "maximum" condition.
Mar 30, 2012
Dr. Michael Zevitz
Cardiology 39 years experience
Go ahead: As long as you have been healthy, pregnancy should be normal as long as the heart problem corrected at the time of surgery has not returned.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 34-year-old member asked:
What is open heart surgery like for an infant or a toddler?
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
Can you have heart surgery when you are pregnant?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
What am I to expect after infant heart surgery for avsd?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
How does to take to fully recover after open heart surgery on an infant?
3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 28, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.