Fresno, CA

Hello, i've had a lower back pain for almost 4 years now. in the worst cases my left side of my hip swells. i was wondering is i have sciatica.

Dr. Julia Sanchez
Pain Management 18 years experience
Possibly: It is possible you have a radicular pain. That happens when there is inflammation in the spinal canal that causes pressure in the nerve that exits the canal at that level and causes pain. Commonly people call it 'pinched nerve'. Sciatica is a type of radicular pain. Hip pathology should also be considered.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 18 years experience
Hip swelling?: Hip swelling is not normal for sciatica pain. I would suggest getting evaluated by a sports medicine doctor who has extra training on spine care as well. Otherwise i would see a spine specialist to evaluate the issue further.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016