Post-traumatic stress disorder. it's a popular diagnosis now. so, what is the best med for it?

Dr. Missid Ghanem
Clinical Psychology 26 years experience
It depends... : The treatment of choice for ptsd involves centrally psychotherapy: essentially, making peace with the fact that the trauma happened and that the universe is still, for the most part, a safe place. Meds may or may not be needed as adjunct to therapy... Also, the actual clinical presentation (and it varies) will determine the medicine of choice.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Warren Kriedman
It depends: Posttraumatic stress disorder occur after life threatening event. A detailed history, medical, neurological & psychiatric evaluation is done to develop a treatment plan. If the findings are mainly psychiatric symptoms, cognitive-behavioral therapy and marital therapy, with ssri medications (celexa, zoloft, (sertraline) Prozac etc) help. Patient's need evaluation for symptoms that frequently develop later on.
Dr. Richard Levenson
Anxiety Disorders 33 years experience
PTSD: Typically, antidepressants are the medications of choice for ptsd.
That depends: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are usually the first go-to medications. For marked dissassociation (i.e., flashbacks) atypical antipsychotics may be necessary. Sleep is a major problem. The combination of nightmares & insomnia may respond to off-label use of prazosin. Cognitive processing therapy is the gold standard for working through issues.
Provided original answer
By the way, it isn't a popular disorder for the people who suffer from it.
Jun 20, 2013