Danbury, TX

Is it possible that my thyroid cancer originated from another cancer in my body that has not been identified?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 51 years experience
need more informatio: The biopsy report should help to clarify. Thyroid cancer can only arise from the thyroid gland. But other cancers/from any organ of your body can travel and land up in your thyroid gland(in that case they are not to be called thyroid cancer).
Dr. Alen Cohen
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery 15 years experience
Unlikely : If on biopsy they have identified it as a type of thyroid cancer, then the cells are from the thyroid that they are seeing. If it was let's sat breast cancer that spread to the thyroid, then on biopsy they would see breast cells and call it breast cancer.
Last updated Oct 21, 2013