blackhead on palm of hand, why?

Pathology 44 years experience
Means nothing: There's plenty of keratin and enough sebaceous glands to produce this occasionally.

Will second-hand cigarette smoke hurt my baby?

Dr. Melissa Arca
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: Exposure to second hand smoke is a major health concern, especially in babies and children. Babies exposed to second hand smoke are at higher risk for asthma, ear infections, respiratory infections such as pneumonia, and have a higher incidence of sids. Furthermore, it has been shown to increase the risk of breast cancer in women who were exposed as children.A smoke free childhood is the best kind.

What can I do about my child's busy hands during diapering?

Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
Toys: Try giving him something to hold and play with during diapering.

Do I need hand therapy if I have surgery?

Dr. Aileen Shieu
Hand Surgery 20 years experience
Depends: This may depend on what kind of surgery you have and how stiff your fingers and wrist are. Oftentimes, you will be given a set of exercises by your surgeon, which may be enough. However, if you are not making progress, or are having a lot of pain or swelling, your surgeon may have you see a hand therapist.

Is nail fungus contagious? Yes it is

Dr. Fred Birnbaum
Podiatry 43 years experience
Yes: It is contagious but conditions have to be right for it as well. The list of additional reasons for it to take hold is long.

How do wrist fractures occur in people with osteoporosis?

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
With less energy: It takes less energy from falls to cause a wrist fracture in an osteoporotic person. Also, the fractures can be more "smashed" into pieces with ostoeporosis.

Last updated Aug 17, 2018