think 2 yo is lactose intolerant. we used lactose free formula &pediasure. he gets mucus in stool now which may be re: milk. what should we try? soy?

Dr. Holly Maes
Lactose or no?: Pediasure is not lactose free, so if he was drinking that and tolerating it, i doubt he is completely lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance usually makes you gassy and crampy, not so much mucous in stool. This usually due to a protein intolerance if it is dietary in origin at all. If it is a protein sensitivity, then soy, almond or goats milk may be helpful. A peds GI doc may be really helpful!