Canada

Can sleep disorders cause cognitive impairment, flat affect and memory problems?

Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry 34 years experience
Absolutely: Contact your pcp for referral for a sleep study, or polysomnogram. There are many possible causes of sleep fragmentation, and a disruption in the amount of any state of sleep can cause memory, concentration and mood disruption. In my practice, we deal primarily with obstructive sleep apnea. The patients report your symptoms and fatigue; the bed partners also suffer (from the noise!). Get checked!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Definitely seen in my psychiatry practice of 800 patients, 300 of whom have sleep apnea. Depression and apnea coexist bi directionally 20% of the time. That is to say that if you have sleep apnea you have a 20% chance of depression and vice versa.
Oct 7, 2013
Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry 34 years experience
Provided original answer
Great bonus post, Dr. Jacobson! Don't see much causal relationships, but I can tell you my patients (or their bed-patners) who aren't sleeping, definitely cycle into fatigue and depression--usually followed by weight gain, worse apnea, depression, weight gain, etc. etc. Thanks for the comment.
Oct 7, 2013
Last updated Mar 11, 2020