What are some fun activities for drug and alcohol abuse group therapy?

Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology 35 years experience
I'm not sure if fun: Is the right way to describe group activities for drug ; alcohol abuse groups. Are you leading a self help group? One idea might be to do role playing of situations where friends offer you a drink at a party ; trying different ways of letting them know you cannot drink anymore. That would stimulate some good discussions. Let me know if you try it how it goes.
Dr. Emma Rishton
Clinical Psychology 13 years experience
Consider the group: It depends a lot on who is in the group and how much supervision you have and need. Also, remember to provide options. Don't ask someone to do something totally out of character in the beginning. Some ideas: yoga, meditation instruction, serving food to the homeless, organized tours of museums, hiking, working with animals. Good luck!

Last updated Sep 19, 2017