Top answers from doctors based on your search:
Disclaimer

what would happen if you swallow a button battery

A 55-year-old member asked:
Dr. Neil Giddings
38 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Go to emergency room: Button battery can cause severe problems in the esophagus, including perforation.
4
4 thanks

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month
A member asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience Pediatrics
Sudden colic: It is hard to define the delay before symptoms as ingestion is often unrecognised. Abdominal cramps/pain/sudden change in behavior may be your only si ... Read More
1
1 thank
A member asked:
Dr. Robert Killian
27 years experience General Practice
Foreign Objects: There would not be any symptoms and the battery would pass in the stool.
1
1 thank
A member asked:
Dr. Robert Kwok
32 years experience Pediatrics
Not that common: Button batteries are bad because the electric current does cause chemical burns in the GI tract. However, it usually only happens if the button is stu ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 51-year-old member asked:
Dr. David Sherris
32 years experience Facial Plastic Surgery
Go to hospital: Battery can leak and cause significant internal damage.
A member asked:
Dr. Daniel Steffy
13 years experience Family Medicine
Don't wait: Onset of symptoms can vary by battery type/size. If likelihood is high that battery was ingested then er for x-ray is advised.
1
1 thank
A 39-year-old member asked:
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
22 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Depends on location: If the battery reaches the stomach, it will be allowed to pass through the body. If it becomes lodged in the throat or esophagus, it must be retrieved ... Read More
A 55-year-old member asked:
Dr. Ronald Achong
17 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Probably no issues: The gum most likely will be passed through the gastrointestinal tract and you should be fine. If you do experience any constipation or abdominal pain ... Read More
A 52-year-old member asked:
Dr. Marlis Gonzalez fernandez
12 years experience Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Medical emergency: A needle can puncture through any part of the digestive system and would have to be removed immediately. The person who swallowed the needle should b ... Read More
A 54-year-old member asked:
Dr. Heidi Fowler
24 years experience Psychiatry
Magnet: Unless it is a really odd shape it is likely to pass through you and to be expelled with a bowel movement.
A 48-year-old member asked:
Dr. Alan Levine
33 years experience Pediatrics
Probably nothing: If it were a single magnetic ball, it would pass "in the end." the real problem might occur if one or more such balls were swallowed. They could stick ... Read More
2
2 comments
3
3 thanks
A 56-year-old member asked:
Dr. Kevin Windisch
24 years experience Pediatrics
Infection: You could be getting an infection that can be easily treated by your physician. Don't suffer, get help.
1
1 thank
A member asked:
Dr. Philip Chao
37 years experience Radiology
You would pass it: Generally you eliminate what you eat in a ay or two. So it is not in your intestines for a week unless it got stuck.
1
1 thank
A 31-year-old female asked:
Dr. James Rochester
25 years experience Family Medicine
No different: when a child is born, we clamp the umbilical cord not the bellybutton. People with "innie" bellybuttons do not have anything different done with the ... Read More
A 46-year-old member asked:
Dr. Jason Hemming
16 years experience Gastroenterology
X-ray: An x-ray would be able to tell you.
1
1 comment
A 50-year-old member asked:
Dr. Marlis Gonzalez fernandez
12 years experience Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Go to the ER: Any electronic device that is swallowed requires emergent evaluation. This is especially important for batteries (the small disc batteries tend to fi ... Read More
A 49-year-old member asked:
Dr. Joel Gallant
35 years experience Infectious Disease
Nothign: The mosquito will die.
A 43-year-old member asked:
Dr. Heidi Fowler
24 years experience Psychiatry
I can understand why: you would be apprehensive. High ear piercings through cartilage have ^ risk of infection & lack of healing because of minimal blood supply to auri ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 24-year-old female asked:
Dr. Jeffrey Webber
31 years experience Cardiology
No prob: Should be ok. Will end up in the toilet bowl by and by without incident.
A 55-year-old member asked:
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
How much ?: If you just swallowed a very tiny bit you should be fine.
A 48-year-old member asked:
Dr. Oscar Novick
57 years experience Pediatrics
Centrum: Eating a vitamin pill will not cause any problem. Your child may have diarrhea , but otherwise poses no problem
A 29-year-old female asked:
Dr. Heidi Fowler
24 years experience Psychiatry
That is a: non-specific symptom. Take care
A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. David Kam
Dr. David Kam answered
35 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Laryngeal trauma: Blunt trauma to the laryngeal cartilage can lead to fracture resulting in hoarseness, coughing up blood and airway compromise. See an ENT doctor!

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month