Top answers from doctors based on your search:

i am allergic to penicillin and i have tonsillitis what should i do if surgery

A 54-year-old member asked:
Dr. Gary Steven
29 years experience Pediatric Allergy and Asthma
Alternatives: There are plenty of non-penicillin alternatives that can be used; Erythromycin is one of the most common. If you really need to be treated with a peni ... Read More
1 comment
1 thank

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
A 30-year-old female asked:
Dr. Pardeep Kahlon
7 years experience Family Medicine
Unlikely: Clarithromycin is usually well tolerated. Main side effects of Clarithromycin are headache, insomnia, gassy, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain
A 41-year-old female asked:
Dr. Howard Shapiro
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Other choices: If it is a bacterial infection, the most common antibiotic would be erythromycin or a similar drug. However, many cases PF pharyngitis are due to viru ... Read More
A 22-year-old female asked:
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegab answered
39 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Tonsillitis: clarithromycin should take care of streptococcal pharyngitis (tonsillitis), which is the most common cause for that infection, however, other organism ... Read More
A 45-year-old member asked:
Dr. Michael Ein
47 years experience Infectious Disease
See below: In penicillin allergic patients with streptococcal pharyngitis the macrolides-erythromycin, biaxin (clarithromycin) or zithromax as well as Clindamyci ... Read More
A 50-year-old member asked:
Dr. Brian Novick
42 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Stop them and see-->: An allergist. Often a careful history can help figure out if an allergy or just a side effect. Skin testing can sometimes be fomenting necessary.
A 44-year-old member asked:
Dr. Leto Quarles
22 years experience Family Medicine
Stop using it!: Wash with nothing but plain water and mild, unscented soap until fully healed. If you have a rash or bad itching on the outside part of your ear, you ... Read More
A 40-year-old member asked:
Dr. Mark Diamond
45 years experience Pediatrics
Listen to Doctor: Stay away until your doctor tells you that you are not contagious.
A 30-year-old female asked:
Dr. Theresa Henderson
40 years experience Pulmonary Critical Care
Universal treatment: Treating The symptoms will help you which ever one it is. You need to take oral decongestant like Sudafed or phenylephrine which is found in many medi ... Read More
A 48-year-old member asked:
Dr. Heidi Fowler
24 years experience Psychiatry
You need to go: back to see your doctor. S/he can determine if your previous antibiotic is still an appropriate medication choice.
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Michael Rupp
20 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Antihistamines: H1 antihistamines like Zyrtec, Xyzal, (levocetirizine) Claratin are all category B in pregnancy and so assumed to be safe. Also H2 antihistamines like ... Read More
A 56-year-old member asked:
Dr. Eric Kaplan
41 years experience Colon and Rectal Surgery
I generally: Treat diverticulitis with 14 days of antibiotics, a liquid diet until pain and fever and white blood cell count normalize, then a low fiber diet for a ... Read More
A 55-year-old member asked:
Dr. James Fox
Dr. James Fox answered
43 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Identify and treat: The first step is to find out what allergies you have either through skin tests or blood tests. Once you know, you can try to avoid the allergies. Med ... Read More
A 31-year-old female asked:
Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Brian Le answered
16 years experience Pain Management
Antibiotics: There are several antibiotics used for bronchitis. Please discuss with your doctors for appropriate antibiotics.
A 39-year-old member asked:
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
Call a dentist: Your dentist will consult with your OBGYN and provide the treatment necessary to get you out of pain and keep your baby safe at the same time.
A 39-year-old member asked:
Dr. Tracy Lovell
20 years experience Rheumatology
Talk to your dr: If you are planning on nursing, talk to doctor beforehand to make sure that you are not any medications that may affect your baby.
A 52-year-old member asked:
Dr. Walter Futterweit
63 years experience Endocrinology
Check duration, ENT: Duration implies a chronic state. Best to check with ENT doctor for endoscopy. Maybe related to gastric reflux
1 thank
A 52-year-old member asked:
Dr. David Djang
22 years experience Nuclear Medicine
Separate problems.: Separate issues there. Make sure your graves' dz is receiving appropriate therapy, or seek out i-131 ablation. Also, take care of your bronchitis. Lim ... Read More
1 thank
A 27-year-old female asked:
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
56 years experience Allergy and Immunology
No issues: There is no known antibiotics containing alpha gal allergen. Red meat is your problem.
1 thank
A 46-year-old member asked:
Dr. James Lin
Dr. James Lin answered
50 years experience Urology
Here are some ...: First, Flagyl will not work well for treating chlamydia-related epididymitis. Second, how was the diagnosis of epididymitis made? Based on intermitten ... Read More
A 42-year-old member asked:
Dr. Raymond Schneider
45 years experience Family Medicine
Get seen: There are plenty of antibiotics to choose. I never yet found a woman allergic to everything.
A 38-year-old member asked:
Dr. Saul Hymes
14 years experience Pediatric Infectious Disease
Talk to your doctor: For any concerns regarding side effects of a medication, you should always consult directly with the prescribing doctor. You do not describe the effec ... Read More
A 36-year-old male asked:
Dr. Brandon Maples
17 years experience Pharmacology
Numerous: There are a number of treatment regimens available. The most common is 1000 mg of Azithromycin (zithromax) times one. The other more common one is D ... Read More
2 thanks

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits