U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
SC
A member asked:

If diagnosed with hpv (the strand that causes genital warts ) what methods are used to prevent cervical cancer?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 48 years experience
Different strain: Wart strains are associated with warts, cancer strains with cancer. You can pick up a cancer strain if exposed, or get the vaccine to protect yourself from it. It won't treat the strain you have but could help prevent you from picking up another. Condoms help some but are not fully protective for hpv.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecologic Oncology 29 years experience
HPV: The strains of hpv that cause genital warts (6, 11) do not cause cervical cancer.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Similar questions

Romania
A 27-year-old female asked:

Does the HPV which cause genital warts is more or less to become cervical cancer?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 30 years experience
HPV: There are over 140 strains of hpv. Four of them cause 95% of the cancers and nine others can cause the remaining 5%. Thus most of the strains do not lead to cancer. There is a vaccine to protect you from the four strains that cause cancer, gardisil. And your gynecologist now during the pap smear can send for testing the new dna hybrid test to see if you have any of the dangerous strains
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 39-year-old member asked:
How does HPV cause genital warts and cancer at the same time?
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 48 years experience
Double answer: There is good evidence that the wart producing strains just produce warts.However, you get the non-wart strains (associated with cancer) the same way ... Read More
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
A 28-year-old male asked:
Do the strands of HPV that cause warts also cause oral Cancer? What is the best screening/prevention for oral cancer?
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 55 years experience
Different HPV types: The types of HPV that cause genital warts do not cause oral cancer. Among the 100+ strains of HPV, only one, HPV16, causes throat cancer. Most other o... Read More
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
A 21-year-old female asked:
Can one strain of HPV cause cancer and genital warts?
Dr. Lewis Hassell
Pathology 41 years experience
HPV types: Some HPV types are more commonly associated with warts and others with cancers but this is not an absolute distinction. Warts can go bad and develop i... Read More
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
A 31-year-old member asked:
Could a plantar wart HPV move to my cervix and cause me cervical cancer?
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology 32 years experience
NO: Plantar warts are caused by a virus, but not one that is known to affect or infect the cervix.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
View all answers
A 22-year-old male asked:
Does HPV that causes visible genital warts in men lead to cancer or autoimmune diseases?
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 30 years experience
HPV: It all depends upon the strain of hpv you get. The unfortunate news is that distinguishing strains is not readily available with testing. But, the bad... Read More
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 16, 2017

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.