U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Sri Lanka
A 23-year-old male asked:

I am a rower and i run a lot. i have a pain at the back of my heel. doctors tell me its calcium depositing on achilles tendon. what should i do?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
39 years experience
If its a : Retro-calcaneal spur it can really irritate the achilles and sometimes rupture it. If causing pain surgey maybe the best choice if you are an active person. Can try rest, ice but that won't get rid of deposits already there.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Sports Medicine 31 years experience
Also check your shoes. If the pull tab just above the heel counter is rubbing against your Achilles, qthis can make your symptoms worse. Consider new shoes.
Sep 19, 2013
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 29 years experience
Night splint: For when your sleeping to help put a sustained stretch on the achilles. A heel lift or orthotic in the shoe to preload the achilles. If all conservative tx fails, there is always a surgical option.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 25, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.