U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 17-year-old female asked:

I have been experiencing hair loss.. and because of that, i now have a bald spot on my crown area.. its been there for 6 years.. please help.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology 45 years experience
Find the cause.: Others may tell you that this is something called alopecia areata, but that usually does not last 6 years. If it has happened slowly over time, it is probably a hereditary and/or hormonal issue. Treatments are available for most forms of alopecia, once the cause is determined. See a dermatologist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 10, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.