can bacterial vaginosis cause itching on other parts of the body?

Dr. Tsu-Yi Chuang
Dermatology 50 years experience
Unlikely: Generalized reaction or itching happens very rarely.

My baby's rash is bothering him and he keeps scratching it. What can I use to reduce his itchiness and clear the rash?

Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Probably eczema: The most likely cause of your child's itchy rash is eczema, an excessive dryness of the skin. It is also called atopic dermatitis and is occasionally associated with food allergy. The mainstay of treatment is moisturization of the skin. If the skin is severely inflammed a low dose cortisone cream may be helpful short term. In older infants an oral antihistamine may decrease the itch.

What about bacterial resistance from antibiotic use?

Dr. George Klauber
Specializes in Pediatric Urology
Bacteria mutate: Bacterial resistance occurs when certain antibiotics become ineffective. This can occur in a patient who is being treated with antibiotics or is on antibiotic prophylaxis. Bacteria can mutate, or change so that they have become resistant. Also subjects can deevop an infection from resistant organisms, in which case the "usual" antibiotics will be ineffective requiring more potent antibiotics.

I was playing frisbee barefoot and it was raining. During the game, the tops of my feet started to itch and little red bumps developed. What should I do?

Dr. Randy Lisch
Podiatry 38 years experience
Dermatitis: You probably developed a dermatitis, which is a skin rash from excessive moisture to the top of the foot. You may want to try an over the counter cortisone cream. If this does not eradicate the problem, see your podiatrist.
Concord, CA

If I had a body scan today, when can I restart taking my hormone medicine?

Dr. Vance Harris
Depends on hormones : I think that would depend on the type of hormone you are talking about and the scan you had. If you didnt get instructions then check with your doctor first. Did you have a thyroid scan? Was it a bone scan or a density scan?

How can I stop the itching from heat rashes?

Dr. Robert Jackson
Dermatology 43 years experience
Avoid: Avoid heat and take antihistamine. You should see your dermatologist to maker sure nothing else is wrong.

Last updated Nov 28, 2013