Why can person with down's syndrome not take kwell (lindane) travel sickness tablets?

Dr. Richard Roberts
Kwells (lindane) active ingred: Int is scopolamine, commonly prescribed in the united kingdom for motion sickness. For adults, a 300 µg tablet is swallowed. For children ages 4 to 10, a 150 mg tablet is sucked, chewed, or swallowed. Drugs.com states that people affected with Down syndrome may have an abnormal increase in pupillary dilation and acceleration of heart rate. Tthere a long list of other medical conditions in which this medication should be avoided.
Dr. Richard Roberts
Provided original answer
I would ask your PCP for a substitute similar to scopolamine called hyoscyamine. We used to give it to babies with colic although apparently it was never proven to help. The infant dose is 0.125 µg. In my family I use the same goes for kids and adultsin sublingual form, called generic Levsin. One under the tongue usually does the trick as soon as symptoms occur.this minimizes the dosageand avoids the sleepiness of the antihistamines.
Aug 11, 2015
Last updated Aug 11, 2015