how are people identified as colorblind?

Dr. William Singer
Pediatric Neurology 51 years experience
Color blind?: See an ophthalmologist. There are ishihara (spelling>) cars that are used to identify color blindness.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Various ways: Some self identify at an early age when they are unable to make the distinctions that their peers make. Others are picked up with school and occupational screening. Some of the more subtle color deficient persons never know about it all of their lives. Only a few occupations cannot be done by the color deficient like fruit graders, paint mixers, jewelers, etc. They can then be tested.