how do complementary doctors treat prolonged labor?

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Multiple ways: If the labor is not "active" and is early stage non-progressive labor often ob's wait for "mother nature" to get in sync. Prolonged active labor that is not progressing with cervical dilitation and there is a pelvic bone obstruction present than surgical intervention will occur(c/section). Contemporary ob's rarely use forceps, or stimulate a labor with meds if the fetal monitoring shows a problem.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Unsure: I have no knowledge of a complementary doctor providing intrapartum obstetric care. The length of the labor is directly related to labor, delivery, and postpartum complications - so a prolonged labor does need to be managed in some manner to expedite a safe delivery, for both mother and baby.
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Complementary is a broad term, and can be techniques as well as providers,and Dr Higginbotham is right about all the factors that impact labor. Some herbs can stimulate uterine contraction but no studies demonstrate clear benefit. Acupuncture has been shown to help with some difficult lies, including breech by sometimes actually turning the baby around! And creating calm LD room will help!
Mar 14, 2012