What are delusions and hallucinations?

Dr. Ray Holt
Dr. Ray Holtanswered
I'll explain: Delusions are when you think something is happening and it's not. For instance you may think you're the president of the United States, but you're not. That's a delusion (unless you're an african american senator from illinois). A hallucination is where you sense something that's not there. It can be something you think you smell or see for example that's not really there.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Delusions/Hallucinat: Delusions are false beliefs. Hallucinations are false perceptions.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Different : A delusion is something that can theoretically happen, but is not very likely. An example of this would be, when a patient tells me that Cindy Crawford is in love with him. That's a delusion. A hallucination is, by definition, any one or more of the five senses interpreting stimuli from the environment that does not in reality exist.
Dr. Paul Pyles
Dr. Paul Pyles commented
Addiction Medicine 33 years experience
I like this explanation.
Feb 26, 2015