U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 40-year-old member asked:

How to remove mosquito bites?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 58 years experience
Not possible: Although topical cortisone may work but would not work overnight. Injecting the area with kenalog (triamcinolone) may, but it would be like swatting a fly with a hammer.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Decrease bite Sx's: Store aloe vera gel in the refrigerator and apply to affected area. Rub a basil leaf on the bite. It repels mosquitoes & has anti-inflammatory properties effect. consider applying calamine lotion. Apply crushed ice or a cold pack. A 1 to 1 mix of water and baking soda is effective when applied to the lesions. You can take oral medications like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or Chlorpheniramine for itching.

Similar questions

A 42-year-old member asked:

How do I remove mosquito bite scars?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics 35 years experience
Improve not remove: Early on, salicylic acid preparations may limit inflammation which can produce hyperpigmentation. Late pigmentation can be treated with bleaching agents such as hydroquinone in combination with a retinoid and steroid. Alternatively, some chemical peels or fractionated laser treatments can also produce nice results. Only rarely is surgery needed.

Related questions

A 18-year-old female asked:
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 48-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Last updated Nov 16, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.