Can shingles give you bad headache? my face bones/teeth hurt. no infection or teeth issues. jaw hurts. pain eases some laying down on back/rightside.

8 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Shingles: If shingles involves your face it can cause a great deal of pain. Have you actually been formally diagnosed with shingles? If not please seek evaluation. If you have, you might need more potent pain medication. Contact your provider.

Answered 12/30/2016

5k views

Dr. Robert Killian answered

Specializes in General Practice

Shingles hurts....: Yes. Absolutely. I can see you are on valtrex (valacyclovir). If the pain is unbearable you may want to ask for something stronger to help you get through this healing that is to come.

Answered 11/27/2017

5k views

Dr. David Rosenfeld answered

Specializes in Pain Management

See below: I agree with dr. Killian. Shingles can hurt. Continue the valtrex. There are several medications for "nerve pain" that may help (lyrica (pregabalin) and gralise).

Answered 12/30/2016

5k views

Dr. Kiley Reynolds answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Neuropathic Pain: I routine advise the use of neuropathic pain medications during the treatment of shingles which helps decrease the incidence of post herpetic neuralgias. Gabapentin is still the most inexpensive, but the newer formulations Gralise (long acting) and Lyrica (pregabalin) work well also.

Answered 11/27/2017

5k views