U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Bayonne, NJ
A 45-year-old female asked about a 71-year-old male:

My dad has pain in rhomboid area.2 months and there is small swelling. pain worse.at night? what can this be?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Walker Wynkoop
Orthopedic Surgery 37 years experience
Muscle spasm: I often see spasms in one rhomboid. Stretching, massage, nsaids, ice or heat can all help. Stretching has the best chance of helping. The shoulders and cervical spine all need stretching and relaxing. He can use his own hand for massage. Getting frequent short massages from a family member is ideal (like 3 minutes twice a day). Deep relaxation breathing release shoulder and neck tightness.
Dr. Timothy Silver
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 25 years experience
Rhomboid tendonitis: It is very likely rhomboid tendonitis, which would call for rest from activities that worsen, then antiinflamitiry medication and strecthing program, if not getting better should be checked by md, to assure some other soft tissue problem is not coexisting, if history of weight loss, would screen for sof tissue neoplasm or lymphoma, although much more rare.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jun 3, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.