Charlotte, NC

can hot water cause nerve damage?

Dr. Ronald Krauser
No: Only if it hot enough to cause burns.

I still don't feel any contractions 24 hours after my water broke, am I still not in labor?

Dr. Amy Herold
No: If contractions have not started 24 hours after your water has broken then labor has not likely started. For women who are group b strep negative we usually start an induction after 12-24 hours after the water has broken if labor has not occurred. For women who are group b strep positive, we start antibiotics and induction shortly after the water has broken to reduce infection risk.

Will drinking extra water temporarily reduce the pain form a kidney stone?

Dr. Sheila Goodman
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
It might: The idea behind increasing your fluid intake is that it puts more fluid through the ureter, which is where the stone usually gets stuck. With more fluid, the ureter dilates and the stone may pass through more easily. Most of the time, narcotics are necessary to control the pain and may help relax the ureter to get the stone to pass too.

My doctor thinks I have apinched nervein my neck and wants to do anemg test? What does emg stand for, and how will this test help my doctor

Dr. Craig Morton
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 18 years experience
Electromyography: This test will help provide your physician isolate which nerve is irritated and to what degree the severity is. There are many nerves that can be "pinched" in the neck and treament options may vary depending on which nerve is involved.

I have swimmer's ear and I have water in my ears and used a q-tip and yellow ear wax came out. Is that what's holding the water in?

Dr. David Nelson
Probably: The wax will cause water to be retained in your ear canal and lead to the swimmer's ear infection. Unfortunately, removing the waxdoesn't get rid of the infection. You will need to see your doctor and get it checked out.

How long does it take to recover from neuropraxia due to a dislocated knee?

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
As much as 18 months: Neuropraxia's are stretch injuries to the nerve. The nerves can slowly regenerate and probably by 18 months your are maximized. You need to be followed by your orthopedist and if they recommend a neurologic workup you may get ncv/emg studies done to assess the nerve function.

Last updated Apr 1, 2014