Brooklyn, NY

My period is 8 days late. i took a home pregnancy test 4 days ago (being 4days late) but it was negative. no symptoms. could i be pregnant?

Dr. Jon Ahlstrom
Obstetrics & Gynecology 31 years experience
It depends: The earliest way to tell if you are pregnant is with an early detection pregnant test done on your first voided urine in the morning. This can be positive even a few days before a missed period. Your doctor's exam should be able to tell if it has been more than 4 weeks since ovulation.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Trust the test: The first step is to repeat a home pregnancy test. They are quick, reliable and easy to do. If the test is negative then you are not pregnant. In that case you can monitor the cycle over the next few days and schedule a visit with an obgyn to discuss birth control. If the pregnancy test is positive then you will need to see an obgyn soon to be evaluated.
Pathology 50 years experience
May re do the test: If you did the test correctly, four days after the missed period, and it was negative, you are not likely to be pregnant. You may wish to repeat the test; use first morning urine and follow the instructions in the package carefully.