A 21-year-old female asked:

My face breaks out mainly around my mouth and on my cheeks. the bumps are under the skin & hardly ever come to a head. what kind of acne could this be?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Specializes in Family Medicine
? Rosacea: Rosacea is a redenning of the skin that mostly affects the cheeks, a dermatologist can help with the diagnosis.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dermatology 27 years experience
This could be what is known as perioral dermatitis. Of course having a dermatologist take a look would be your best first step. If this is perioral dermatitis then medicines like tetracycline have been shown to help.
Feb 25, 2012
Last updated Oct 4, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.