how many hours a day should my baby be sleeping?

Dr. Kathleen Forcier
Specializes in General Practice
Depends on his age: Babies need less sleep as they age. The following is the average amount of sleep babies need at different ages; each individual baby is slightly different. Newborns: 16-18 hr/day (half during the day, half at night) 3 months: 15 hr/ day 9 months: 14 hr/day (but now it's 10 hr at night, 4 during the day) 2 years old: 13 hr/day (most at night with a 2 hour nap) 4 year old 11 hr (no nap).
Dr. Michael Amster
Specializes in Pediatrics
12-18 hours usually: Babies sleep almost 16-20 hours when first born, so in theory they could do nothing but eat and sleep and they'd be fine. As they get a little older, that can go down, but generally 12 to 16 hours is a normal level. The real question is, how are they when they are awake? If alert, happy, and energetic, then they are doing fine.