I have a dead thyrid and take synthroid (thyroxine) yet i feel very weak and my short termmemory is very bad. my wife says i also drift off for extended periods.?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Soroosh Armandi answered

Specializes in Anti-Aging Medicine

Recent labs?: By dead thyroid are you referring to a non-functioning thyroid? If so, what is your diagnosis? Thirdly, sometimes your TSH could be normal and your free T4 normal, however your free T3 and reverse T3 low! synthroid (thyroxine) may not be effective, you may also need T3 or increased dosage of your synthroid (thyroxine)! if you can obtain recent labs then we can help you better.

Answered 3/21/2015

6.1k views

Dr. Jennie Law answered

Specializes in Endocrinology

Optimize/other prob?: Although there are many symptoms attributed to thyroid dysfunction, including mild memory problems, complete replacement of your thyroid function with synthroid/levothyroxine is possible with careful dose titration- then symptoms are not related to thyroid. Work with you dr to optimize your synthroid dose, and if u still have symptoms, look for other causes.

Answered 1/28/2012

6.1k views

Dr. Robert Dons answered

Specializes in Endocrinology

Hypothyroidism: Get both the free T4 and TSH checked. Both of these hormone levels need to be right for you . An associated pituitary problem, not your thyroid, can cause your problem. What is your testosterone, adrenal, growth hormone staus? What is your dose of thyroid and what is the TSH and free T4 level? Ask your doctor.

Answered 1/15/2015

6.1k views