OK

I have ibs-m w/ diarrhea & constipation. was prescribed bentyl for the diarrhea but it causes constipation. can i take either lactulose, miralax, dulcolax, or colace w/ the bentyl to deal with the constipation it'll cause? already takin benefiber too?

Dr. Donald Colantino
Bentyl is available in both 10 & 20 mg strength. If you're already taking the lesser strength you could try 1/2 a tablet to lessen the occurrence of constipation. Taking a laxative infrequently is harmless, but I'm sure your gastroenterologist would want you to minimize strong laxative use. Try senokot as needed for constipation relief. If you have predominant diarrhea ?try the fodmap diet

Last updated Jun 16, 2021