SC

i was told i have iron deficiency anemia a few months ago but my periods are very light and irregular. i already had an egd and colonoscopy and the results came back normal. what might be some possible reasons for chronic gi bleeding?

Dr. Christine Hom
Anemia: Anemia is due to 1. inadequate blood production, 2. blood loss, 3. blood destruction. Tests such as EGD and colonoscopy would address GI bleeding and you will want to discuss other possibilities with your treatment team. It may be as simple as inadequate dietary intake of iron.
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Parkanswered
Other possibilities: Some other possibilities to consider: low iron intake, e.g., vegetarian children/adults, especially those on vegan diet; inadequate dose of iron prescribed if you are on treatment.