It was recommended to me to take a probiotic for constipation and since taking i have been so nauseas and it is not improving constipation. (2 weeks) why is this happening?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. James Ferguson answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

This could be an intolerance/allergy to something in the mix, or a totally unrelated symptom of your basic problem. Probiotics are just innocuous germ colonies not known to harm humans. When taken they can establish a bunch of "happy/innocent" germs that can push out the less helpful ones. I would not consider them as likely to help constipation unless it was due to abnormal gut germs=doubt it.

Answered Jun 14, 2020

69 views

Dr. Heidi Fowler answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Specific probiotic strains can help with specific health issues. B. lactis and L. casei have been shown to be beneficial for constipation. See: https://www.healthline.com/health/probiotics-and-digestive-health#how-to-use

Answered Jun 14, 2020

69 views