U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
San Jose, CA
A 22-year-old female asked:

I normally only get hives/dermatographia in hot water/temperatures. but, lately have been getting daily "attacks"+raised bumps for no reason. i take zyrtec+flonase daily. can anything else otc help w/ itching? should i see my derm or pcp for this?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Family Medicine 34 years experience
Urticaria: You should. Either PCP, dermatologist or allergist might help. Another variable to look at is food allergy testing. Diet has 80 percent to do with your immune system. For many finding the dietary trigger, which can often be delayed can help alleviate your problem.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Internal Medicine 40 years experience
Increased hives: You should contact your dermatologist and also see an allergist. There may be something you are allergic to ,also have they checked your Cq1 to see if you have Cq! inhibitor deficiency ( usually painless, non pruritic edema) ? Check CBC, CMP thyroid and CXR . Would follow up with dermatology /allergy and ask about uses of ranitidine as well.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 7, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.