ZA

i was just discharged from hospital and now i have the flu. i received treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. i had 3 day cortisone treatment. is there any medication i can take for it?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Tamiflu: Tamiflu may help to shorten the course. Your immune system will develop antibodies to the viral strain and eliminate the virus. I would recommend a yearly flu vaccine unless otherwise contraindicated.
Depends: Tamiflu is a reasonable treatment if started within the 1st 48 hrs or so of flu symptoms. Benefit after that point declines since the infection is fully established & this drug reduced viral reproduction but does not kill it. Symptomatic meds for aches & pain are fine. Concentrating on fluid intake to prevent dehydration & simple meals for nutrition are also helpful.