Plano, TX

my surgeon kept upping my dose of gabapentin when i would mention my hand and the last visit he said it was probably carpal tunnel. i've looked up the symptoms and it's not carpal tunnel. can you give me an idea as to what may be the problem? thank y

Dr. Philip Miller
Neurology: I would hope that your physician has already ordered nerve conduction studies and an MRI of your cervical spine. The NCS should give a definitive diagnosis.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Second opinion: If you are not comfortable with your treatment, you might consider a second opinion. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a pinching of the median nerve and it would typically cause numbness into the first three fingers of the hand. You are right in that there are multiple other potential causes of symptoms or problems with the hand and wrist. An exam and appropriate studies would help make diagnosis.
Dr. Bert Liang
Specializes in Neurology
Symptoms: Apparently, the gabapentin has not addressed your hand issue. It may be helpful to describe your symptoms as a start, and consider either a virtual consult on HealthTap or a local evaluation by a neurologist who might be able to do additional diagnostic studies (EMG/NCS, ultrasound).