Carmel By the Sea, CA

will changing soaking water for dried beans help to remove some of the oxalates for kidney stone patients?

Dr. Jaspreet Singh
Urology 18 years experience
It may help: Soaking beans overnight can help reduce oxalate content. Also, boiling and cooking in a pressure cooker may help also. Same goes for vegetables.
Dr. Mary Clifton
Eat an alkaline diet: The biggest contributor to recurrent kidney stones is an acidic diet, which results in high calcium levels in the urine. Cut out meat and processed dairy to alkalinize your diet quickly. The oxalates and beans are mostly bound by other compounds in the beans, making beans and excellent, safe source of protein for you. In addition to whole grains and nuts.