Suffolk, VA
A male asked:

what is it? i had a popping sound and sharp ear pain after using sinus rinse

Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
Sinus rinse -ear pop: Could be that the rinse also drains into the Eustachian tube, as both the sinuses and middle ear drain into the Eustachain ( hence post nasal drip). There may be, due to congestion, increased fluid in the middle ear as well. When you rinse your sinuses you are increasing the pressure in the Eustachian tubes , opening it and making your ears pop ( like when on a plane). f/u /w/ doc
Dr. Luis Matos
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 45 years experience
Ok, if pain gone.: what has probably happened is that When you use the sinus rinse you may have used slightly too much pressure. This can sometimes force salt water up to your eustachian tube and up into your middle ear. This is not uncommon. Also, if your eustachian tube was blocked the salt water could have reduced some of the swelling around the opening and help you relieve pressure in your from your middle ear.