U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Clark, NJ
A 40-year-old male asked:

Im 40 have gerd. i take prevacid one a day to cope. i'm now taking 600mg zantac (ranitidine) as alternative. is it safe or go back to prevacid. ?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 63 years experience
Ppi's: There is increasing reports about harmful effects of ppi's such as prevacid, prilosec, nexium, (esomeprazole)etc and at your young age, zantac and carafate may be a better choice for long term use. A gastroenterologist is best qualified to evaluate,advise and treat you if your gerd isn't responding well to diet and medication. Abstinence from alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and oily foods may be helpful.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 13, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.