Danville, CA

i regularly take a four-hour antihistamine, chlorpheniramine maleate, because it seems to help with digestion. are there any issues with extended use?

Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 40 years experience
Yes: First is tolerance, meaning that you would have to increase the dose to get the same effect. Second, side effects are more prone to appear with extended use, and some are serious, hence the need for medical supervision. Third, it isn't meant to help digestion, if you have a problem with digestion / indigestion and not resolved , you need to see your doctor. Good luck